Friday, February 6, 2009

one of THOSE bloggers

Through the eyes of a very tired mommy...


I surf the weight loss blogs quite often. And do you know what makes me sad? When I check out someones blog roll (the list people share of blogs they enjoy frequenting) and there are links to blogs where the author has not updated for weeks. And when you check out that poor, neglected blog, invariably the first line of the last post begins with something like "I'm falling off the wagon" or "I've gained 5 pounds this week & I'm celebrating by eating a pie." And then you never hear from this blogger again. *sniff*


Okay~ Things are not that bad, here. But I do have my list of excuses for why I have abandoned you, Internet. And luckily it has nothing to do with wagons or cake.

Here it goes: there has been a mudslide of diarrhea and vomit in my home over the last week. (thankfully not from ME however I am the lucky gal who is cleaning it all up & kissing
the puke-dispensers.) There's something about staying up past 2AM each night (mopping barf & washing linens in hot water) then getting up at 7AM that makes it difficult to be charming & encouraging and a lot easier to be snippy & dull (me).
.

Hang on... I'm not done...


We've had a LOT of big decisions to make at the practice this week including the hiring of new employees, IF and WHEN to move to a new office space, the creation of new printed materials for our medical weight loss program (me), and dealing with, what seems like, every business computer we own breaking down at the same time.

Dr. Hempel has been a very competent medical assistant during the long nights we've had of puke mopping which has made him equally exhausted and rightfully cranky. We have both agreed that it is never too early to start learning how to clean up your OWN vomit & have decided if Corbin pulls another "hey mom & dad~ think I'm asleep? HA! I'm in my room throwing up like the Exorcist" maneuver, he's getting handed three wet rags & a bottle of 4o9.

Momma & Daddy are tired.





And for my last brilliant excuse... It's time to fess up on my last weigh in. The weight GAINS are never fun to report. Last Tuesday I went to Weight Watchers (I love the meetings & the company) and discovered I had GAINED 1.6 pounds. Ugh. So I went from that beautiful 190.00 up to 191.6. Sigh. Could it have been the chocolate cake that Lisa Carter served at her birthday party (and shoved down my defenseless throat)? Or was it the Italian dinner at Bel Tramonto I treated Lisa to for her 40th birthday? I just. don't. know. (okay... I know... I know...)
.
I was chatting with someone this week who has recently gained 20 pounds. She said "the weight just crept up on me. One week I had gained 2 pounds... I weighed myself again a couple of weeks later and there was an additional 3 pounds... and before you know it- I've gone up 20."
.
Huh.
.
I don't want to do that. I have really been struggling with discipline in my diet lately. I'm thankful for comments like this that feel like that soft slap on the face saying "AMY. Are you there? Are you listening...? 'Cause you need to."
I like to have upcoming events in front of me as incentives to lose weight. That's my new tactic. Here's what I have coming up: February 13th I'm going to Portland to meet up with my rockin' mother-in-law & Kari, my sister-in-law for 24 hours of shopping at Ikea. (Ikea is my Mecca.) They have not seen me in a while so I need to wow them with my tight, petite butt. Then March 11th we're hosting a work event. The shirt I bought (pink with a custom embroidered "Aspen" logo that matches all of the other female staff members) fits. By this I mean that if I were to take a deep breath, the front pulls open at the buttons. If I gain more weight... it won't be so cute. If I lose another 5-10 pounds, it'll be even more adorable on me.
.
So there you have it, Internet. I'm here. The kids are getting better. At this very moment it's 11:50PM so this time I'm staying up for YOU (where's the love?) and if you puke... YOU'RE cleaning it up. I'm off "nurse duty".

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw you in the store the other day, and noticed you from behind first. I thought, "Oh what a cute little chicka". Then I saw that it was you. I was running late so didn't say hi. Don't worry about the 1.6 lbs. It won't get the best of you for sure. I have been struggling with the seven pounds I gained over the last month or so. I have lost 2 lbs, and am trying to find the motivation and discipline required to get those pesky five off so that I can get back to where I was pre holidays. My sister's wedding is March 21st and the dress that I want to wear requires that five to come back off ,along with another five if I want to feel comfortable. Ten pounds in six weeks is attainable, but still intimidating. I need to get over the food. You continue to inspire me, and your cute little figure is major inspiration. Your doing great in this struggle, keep believing you'll beat it. I try to keep on your heals!

April

Improvedliving said...

This looks so exciting.


fast weight loss

Shelley said...

I wondered what had happened to you! Yuck, so sorry that the crud hit your household - that is NOT FUN at all! Hope everybody is feeling better soon.

P.S. That is such a cute picture of your son with his favorite things - the dog and fire trucks!

Anonymous said...

I have just found your blog recently and just wanted to say thank you, thank you. You're great company on the journey and personally an inspiration.

Sorry about all the bodily fluids...

Me said...

You are doing great! Life has to intervene, and we have to learn balance. If you are up, then just like when you are trying to maintain your weight, you are going to pay attention and take care of it. So what? Look at how far you have come, and see this as a test that you are passing by getting back on that treadmill.

suzanne said...

I love the short hair fyi! And I know you'll overcome the tiny 1.6 lbs. That's nothing for someone like you! Hey, aren't you the one who blogged about the guy that made you roll down your window about your turn signal not being on or something like that? Was he driving a white sedan of some sort? Cause he totally did that to me yesterday! He acted like my car was on fire trying to get me to open my window just so he could say 'You know you are in a turning lane' Yes I know this. 'Well, you need turn your blinker on' To this I replied 'Uh, yes I know and it is' and promptly put my window up. Creepy if you ask me.......

Overhauling-Me said...

Sorry for the sickos at your house! There's nothing more draining to a mom then caring for sickies!

I've put weight on the last two weeks. It makes me realize I really only have two choices where my health is concerned. #1 I can sit back, enjoy my lazy activities and fattening foods and get more unhealthy and watch the scale slowly creep up. OR #2 I can be proactive, work on getting healthier, and watch my body get stronger and my clothes size get smaller. I'm chosing #2! How long it takes me to get to where I want to be just depend on what I put into it.

My choice is getting healthy, getting my foot out of the grave and ENJOY LIFE!

Keep heading down the healthy trail, you're doing awesome!

antgirl said...

Hope everyone is feeling better.

Get a little rest and you might feel refreshed. :)

Kristi said...

Don't let that 1.6 pounds get you down! Sometimes things in life are going to interfere with our diet and exercise, and that's OK! It's LIFE! I think the important thing to remember is that things like this will happen, but we can jump right back in when things calm down. I'd love to be able to say I diet and exercise 100% of the time. But with a five-year-old and 3 two-year-olds running around, it just ain't happening. ;o) I do my best, and if the numbers on the scales start creeping up, I hold myself accountable, but try not to make excuses.
Hope everyone gets well soon, and you can jump back on that treadmill and kick that 1.6 pounds butt.

TinaMiller said...

I love the picture of your cute little boy in bed with the doggie! Precious! Im glad all is better. And you will turn that weight around in no time!

Kari@Onederland said...

I hope everyone is feeling better and rested. A gain isn't anything anyone likes to report or talk about but the person who gained 20pounds is probably wishing that they would have talked about it after 2 or 3lbs. I sure know I wished I would have because I wouldn't be sitting at the weight I am. Hope you get your mojo back...and sooner rather than later!

MParrish said...

i can't believe lisa fed you delicious dark chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and she fed me uncooked pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough.

what a scam.

Since I am starting a major revolution, as you know, I've decided to add some more revolution-ing into my life/your life. You and me, in 11 weeks we will both lose at LEAST 7 pounds. It WILL happen- I'll devise a plan and put it into action this week at NRFC. Let the weight loss revolution begin!!!

Laurens_Closet said...

April~ I'm not going to tell you any more how much I'd love to get to know you better... You must have so many friends here in KF's that you don't need one more (or you've heard about my reputation & have decided it would be better to keep a distance...) Anyway~ THANK YOU for the compliment! I wish you had said hello... maybe I'll see you someday at the "open play time" at the indoor soccer fields when I'm there with Corbin... usually on Mondays or Wednesdays around 11Am... I'm just saying...

Shelley~ Thanks for the compliment about the pic! Sometimes I think i love my dog more then my children. Until tonight when I discovered she peed on my rug. Now she's in the doghouse and has returned to being just a canine instead of Most Favorite Fur Child.

FoodFoodBodyBody~ Glad you found my blog! I'll have to see if YOU have a blog and then stalk you.

Thanks, Alaska Pickle, for the encouraging words. I know I've lost a lot~ I'm just so afraid of going backwards. And lately, going backwards tastes really good... *sigh*

Suzanne~ That WAS me with the turn signal but different guy. Maybe they're related. I'm certain they need to find something better to worry about. Maybe they could start targeting J-walkers! Or the other latest hot topic on the heraldandnews.com - - - cats who are not contained in our neighborhoods! YES!! Let's ignore all of the other pressing issues in Klamath Falls, Oregon (such as the 12% unemployment rate in our county or our physician crisis) and focus on TURN SIGNAL NEGLECT! People are wierd. But I am SO glad you come to my blog! And comment! THANKS!!! : )

KiKi~ Let's choose #2! It's hard but worth it, right?

Antgirl~ Thanks... I should be in bed RIGHT NOW...

Kristi~ THREE two year olds? Just typing that makes me want to cry. I have no room to talk... I bet you've mopped up more poop & puke then I could ever imagine! I can't understand how you're not 110 pounds with the running around you must do!

THANKS TinaMiller~ Cute doggie is in trouble tonight but I think I'll forgive her...

Kari~ Great perspective on the 20 pounds vs the 3 pounds... thank you for pointing that out. I just can't go back there...

MELONIE~ I WANT you to work that 7 pounds off of me. YOU. Are. ON. And YES I will meet you at the gym Tues & Thurs this week. At least at this point I think I will unless I get thrown a curve ball but I don't see anything coming at this point... Lisa Carter was feeding you raw cookie dough? THIS WOMAN MUST BE STOPPED. You know, one of her favorite snacks is CAKE BATTER. WHO EATS CAKE BATTER??? Really?????

I love you, Internet People.

((((((HUGS))))))

Anonymous said...

I DO have a blog (it's pretty new) and I would LOVE it if you would stalk me because I'm just building up readers and it's pretty lonely over there. I'd love your readership and your company.

Foodie McBody

Kristi Summer said...

welcome back! just found your blog...nice.

Unknown said...

Ditto on getting to know each other, other than bloggy world:) I just sent out an email that we are playing basketball Monday and Thursday mornings at the home and martin bldg. If your able to come that would be fun. Have Lisa Carter forward it to you, I sent it to her. I will absoultly get myself up to the sports park soon! Take care

Anonymous said...

I have a weight loss ticker too. I had lost a pound over the weekend which I fought so hard to get! But it bounced back this morning. Does that mean I have to take back the pound on my weight loss ticker? Do you do that if you gain weight?

Michelle said...

Oh dear, I feel for you. Last winter we had a 1.5 yo and a 4 yo w/ stomach virus after stomach virus and a newborn in the mix - it was ROUGH to put it mildly. Congrats on getting in the 180s! PS - I am one of those bloggers that jumped ship recently. Wasn't because I feel off the wagon though - just have too much on my plate and every time I was spending time on the blog I felt all of the other "to-dos" nagging at me :-)