Sunday, May 10, 2009

Foreseen and Unforeseen Obstacles

Ahhhhh... life. Things can certainly get complicated in a blink of an eye. And that's when we are truly tested- you find out what you're really made of when those unforeseen challenges present themselves. And at THIS moment, I'm made of Mug root beer and cheddar blasted goldfish. Doesn't sound too good, does it? 




You all know we're in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I thought this would be an easy enough task... I had it all planned... 5-7 days AT THE MOST. Today is day 14 and as I type, my darling husband is busting his butt putting in the cabinets. (I am currently not very useful but we'll get to that.) This means that we have been eating out for about... 12 days worth of meals. I know, I know- I should have ALL of the brilliant answers when it comes to making healthy choices at fast food restaurants but listen, at the end of the day, when you're eating this junk for 2 meals a day- it's all crap. And repetitious. 

Then... on Monday, May 4th, I was driving TO THE GYM and as I went through the intersection a lady ran a red light and plowed into my van. Luckily, the worst injury was my broken finger (see pic) as Corbin was with me in the car. The accident happened at the same intersection where our practice was so Dr. Hempel (I call him Cookie) was at the scene in seconds to whisk Corbin away for a thorough evaluation while I took care of the administrative details. 

Since that moment my life has been filled with phone calls, insurance companies, rental cars (or the lack thereof for a couple of days), pain... no kitchen... more mess... Chaos. It's hard enough to have one MAJOR thing going on in your life (kitchen) and then add an injury and your car being totaled.

So to put this in a nutshell... I need to find my groove again. I'm not eating well and have exercised maybe three times in the last 2 weeks. (only once in the last week.) I was thinking to myself tonight "what worked when I was losing so much weight?" It was ROUTINE. And STRATEGY. Two things I am currently functioning without. I can't do this. I can't go backwards. So this week I begin again. It's like I have said before: if you get a flat tire do you get out of the car and slash the other 3? NO. You FIX THE PROBLEM. My kitchen will be fully functioning again in the next couple of days and I'll have my new car on Wednesday. And I have an entire life of unexpected surprises ahead of me - each one can't buy my ass 10 pounds, right? 

Gotta get it together.



3 comments:

Cranberryfries said...

Thats too funny. I'm eating goldfish (but hey these are the 'wheat' ones-oy how I wish that meant they were better for me) and drinking a Diet Coke! Good thing tomorrow morning I'm going on a long bike ride.

Ack--not good about your car or the kitchen remodel progress. I've been in a huge funk too but for no good reason like yours. Glad to hear Corbin wasn't hurt and hopefully your finger will get back to normal quickly.

Warrior Princesa said...

ah amy! it was good to see you at church. if you need anything holler at me! your an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Amy,

I thought I had your email, but can't find it. Just want to let you know that Friday some of us ladies are heading over to Keller Park around 11am. You should bring Corbin. I'm truly sorry about your finger and car. What a stressful week. Good spring weather will make everything better!