Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I'm losing weight & this means WAR. original post 10/14/08

HELLO bloggers! Well, as my last post mentioned, we're back AGAIN from the beach. We don't usually take multiple trips to the coast each year but this year, after we had already taken our trip in August, Eric's mom invited everyone out for a reunion so how could we resist??

We had a wonderful time! We were in the Gleneden area, again. (between Newport & Lincoln City) As usual, I was nervous about traveling and getting out of my "diet comfort zone" but I think I made some good decisions before heading out which helped me A LOT. And that is what brings me to my topic for the day...


This is WAR. A war against obesity. So WHY AREN'T WE ALL STRATIGIZING???


Instead of feeling helpless about my situation, I decided to do something about it. I Googled "Lincoln City Fitness Centers" a few days before leaving & got the name of several gyms. I called to see what their daily rates were & the amenities. I was able to get 10 passes to the Salishan Spa & Golf Resort for $99. I know... I know... a bit extravagant but let me TELL you- they had a great workout room with TVs on each machine (a must.) an AMAZING pool, a steam room, and hot tub. After dealing with my kids & their 15 cousins all day, it was a real TREAT to be able to sneak off to the resort for my "work out". (tip: when you tell people you are going to work out, act all sad about it & fail to mention the pool.)


Before we left, we also went to the store and stocked up on all of the healthy food alternatives we'd need to be successful. There was a time that ROAD TRIP = UNLIMITED BAGS OF CHEETOS & TALL COLD MOUNTAIN DEW's BY THE BUCKET. This trip, we took a cooler with low fat string cheese, deli sliced turkey, protein bars, bottles of water, fruit, & several flavors of sugar free gum. And honestly, I didn't miss eating the crap I used to. Imagine.


On the way to the beach, we did stop & have lunch at The Olive Garden. Yes, that's what I said. PASTA and CHEESE and BREADS. Within reason. I ordered the Capellini Pomodoro (one of their health conscious dishes), asked them to toss in some boiled shrimp (you can eat buckets of these- they're all protein), and had the pasta substituted with whole wheat noodles. I had ONE bread stick, a little salad, and dessert. YES dessert! And let me tell you... it was a pumpkin cheesecake. And I shared it with two other people at the table. And it was the most incredible thing I have put into my mouth in a LONG time. That's one nice thing about living this way- you really do appreciate a good treat that you once would have taken for granted.


While on vacation, when the family was eating sandwiches at lunchtime, I had my packets of tuna fish, Kashi crackers, and Laughing Cow spreadable cheese. YUM! Did I eat some clam chowder? YOU BET. Three cups of it. (note that I did not say bowls - - - I chose to have cups. A first for me.) I also ate seven chocolate covered gummy worms. I indulged, within reason. I worked out each night for an hour, swam, and played with the kids on the beach. Without losing my breath. Not too shabby...

So DON'T go into these situations, already feeling defeated! YES it is scary to go on a vacation... a family reunion... to look towards a holiday... (think THANKSGIVING & CHRISTMAS). But all of these things are going to come & pass & you don't want to defeat yourself before you even get started. You've worked HARD for a long time! And enjoy that vacation/holiday/celebration. Eat what you want- just not everything on the table. : ) Show up to Thanksgiving dinner with a protein bar in your tummy- you won't eat as much that way. PREPARE yourself, mentally, before you head out the door.


We returned yesterday evening & I have no regrets about my food choices. None. And guess what... I went to Weight Watchers today to weigh in and lost another 2.8 pounds! WHILE ON VACATION! This brings my total weight loss, in eight weeks, to 25 pounds. Isn't that something? I feel better. I look better. I still have 50 pounds to lose. *sigh*


So we're going to eat this elephant one bite at a time. It takes time, there's no way around it. But I can do it. And I sure am enjoying the benefits!

Okay- I'm off to bed. Keep working at it, everyone! It really is worth it~

No comments: