Growing up, if your family was anything like mine, having shrimp for dinner was something special. Someone got a promotion... there was a graduation... maybe a funeral... It wasn't an "every day" kind of occasion. It was a big deal.
Either times have changed or, perhaps, we are a little informal at the Hempel home. Probably a combination of both. But let me tell you- my kids love shrimp. Especially my girl. And since I've been working towards creating a better diet and lifestyle, I have grown to love those little guys too.
I'd like to share a little SHRIMP TRIVIA with you:
1) These little guys are PACKED with protein. We love protein 'cause it keeps you fuller longer, decreases surges in your insulin levels, & helps us maintain our LEAN body mass. (can you tell Dr. Hempel is over my shoulder?)
2) You can eat them, GUILT FREE! (unless you're at one of those restaurants that leaves the heads on & then their beady little eyes are staring at you, saying "how DARE you??")
3) One serving of shrimp is 4 ounces or TEN shrimp. With that, you're eating 80 calories, one gram of fat, ZERO carbs, and (wait for it.............) EIGHTEEN grams of protein. I need to come up with a shrimp snack bar that I could throw in my purse.
4) Are you on Weight Watchers? One serving of shrimp equals only 2 WW points. I can eat 2 points in my sleep.
5) Shrimp also have wonderful things such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B-12, and niacin. Please don't ask me what that means. I just know it's good.
And what's the most FANTASTIC thing about the Decapod Crustaceans, also known as... SHRIMP?
If you are in a pinch, they can quickly double as an amazing
and consumable disguise.